Thursday, January 10, 2008

NBA/ESPN Campaign- Part 1

It has been great to be part of an advertising campaign that is everywhere. Its a huge campaign running the entire NBA season. There are commercials using the RV on ESPN, and even the bumper graphics into NBA games on ABC use the road signage. Below is a scan of the first of three ads I did for the NBA (as it appears in WIRED. I have also seen it in Rolling Stone, GQ and Sports Illustrated).



BREAKING NEWS: There is a billboard near Penn Station in New York City that has one of these drawings on it! Picture coming tomorrow courtesy of our staff photographer at the JH New York Bureau, Yuko Shimizu.

This is a giant map of NBA related landmarks and trivia-inducing road-stops. I'll have a scan of it in context with the final hand drawn typographic banner in a week or two.

4 comments:

Blake Himsl Hunter said...

nice illo. I like the "Corn Palace" a lot, and I'm glad to see it on the map piece.

R.Dress said...

I love the cartooney feel to this map. I think its simplified just right for the amount of detail that needs to be shown. Very Well done.
*R

John Hendrix said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Looking at it during the process, sometimes I felt like I needed to put a bit more information in the individual objects. But, at the scale its being reproduced, the buildings needed to be dramatically simplified. The corn palace was the hardest to simplify for obvious reasons.

Unknown said...

John, I have just been shown your website. I want to buy a print of this or play you 'heads up' for one. Its incredible.

Ryan Moore