Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Expecto Patronum



Gallery Nucleus asked me to participate in their Harry Potter tribute show, and it was an extreme pleasure to work on this image. The characters of J.K. Rowling's timeless stories have accompanied me on many late nights- a dear companion when I'm drawing in my dark attic.

Our house has gone a little Harry Potter crazy over the last few weeks- andrea, who is an astonishingly fast reader, is plowing through all the books again. Partially to refresh her memory for the upcoming movie, and partially to get me to stop pestering her with conversation about details of Harry-Potter-Lore-Minutia that she can't remember.  Jack and I have built a bunch of the HP Lego sets together, and set them up on our mantle piece to celebrate. He loves to play with the gear from Alivans, Master Wand Makers. Check them out if you'd like your own Elder Wand. Who wouldn't?

The opening for the show is this Saturday at Gallery Nucleus, 7pm. Wish I could be there! Also, make sure you look for my HP "Hallows or Horcruxes" t-shirt that will be debuting there as well. I'll be posting pictures of those on Friday, as well as a link for purchase.

A few images from my process below:






Some rough thumbnails, which lead to my final sketch: 



Some details of the final image, which has no digital trickery in it. So hard to make your images look right without the help of photoshop these days! 







5 comments:

Tanya said...

Love the painting! Might have to get one of those t-shrits, as well. We've been getting a little frenzied in my house also. The end of an era. Thanks for the link to Alivan's. Had never heard of it. We've been entertaining ourselves with the cheap plastic wands that light up when you wave them.

Krysthopher Woods said...

Freaking awesome!

benrum said...

I just linked to this post on facebook, citing it as the piece I most wanted from the preview list, which I was lucky enough to be on. I love it. One of the best moments in the series. Beautiful work, my friend. Consider yourself 'fanned.'

Kathryn Packer Roberts said...

This is awesome! I'm really impressed.

Brianne said...

This is great! I love Ol' HP. I hope the show went well!