Sunday, October 25, 2009

Book Tour


I spent the last two weeks on a mini 'book-tour' for my John Brown book. I was in Harpers Ferry for the 150th Anniversary of the John Brown Raid (John Brown Palooza '09), did some readings, a workshop, attended the JB Academic Symposium, met Danny Glover and (best part) walked the raid route from the infamous Kennedy Farmhouse to Harpers Ferry on the night of the anniversary in a moving reenactment of the raid itself. Over the week, I was able to get off a few rounds in my sketchbook as well.





Here is my book in the Harpers Ferry National Park Bookstore- see the John Brown plushy there next to it? Had to get one.





Also, did a book signing with Evan Carton, the superstar who wrote "Patriotic Treason"- a great John Brown Biography.



After that, we left for Lawrence, Kansas for a reading, signing and short lecture on illustrating difficult subject matter for children at Signs of Life Gallery on beautiful downtown Massachusetts Street. I ran into a few former students, a handful of people I had seen in Harpers Ferry the week before, the relatives of John H. Cagy (one of John Brown's Raiders) not to mention many people who were eager to talk about the book and John Brown's legacy in Kansas.

...the astonishing geography of 'the Ferry'- looking east down the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers.



2 comments:

Alice Keesey Mecoy said...

John,

Sorry we missed each other at Harper Ferry. I need you to email me your address so I can mail you my book for signature.
amecoy75002@yahoo.com

Breck said...

great stuff!
have been enjoying the updates.
heard this recently and thought of you... http://www.backstoryradio.org/2009/10/moulder-in-peace-john-brown/#comment-5649