Monday, May 04, 2009

I'm a printmaker?


The St. Louis chapter of the AIGA asked me to do a 20 edition print run of an image to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the STL chapter. It is a great project, 19 other artists are participating... that means 400 prints!

When I think about how our industry has changed in the last 20 years- its hard to think of a facet of communication design that HASN'T changed since 1989. I decided that my print is 'about' the collision of technology and deadlines. It is only a matter of time before I receive my first editorial commission via twitter, and so, I'm already feeling a desire to unplug. This print is made up entirely of repurposed images and text. The drawing was lifted from my sketchbook (keen observers will remeber that I later used it in a New York Times Op-Ed illustration) and transfered onto paper using acetone on photocopies. The text and colors, in a nod to our endangered and beloved CMYK, is from a collection of rubber stamps I've found in rummage sales throughout the years.

Come to the event and hope you get a good print!

No comments: