Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nobel Pursuits


This package was for the amazing magazine, Scientific American, about the Nobel Prize winners in Physics. I've worked with them several times and have loved the abstract challenge of the assignments, in this case, how to draw quantum mechanics and astrophysics! 

Instead of focusing on the non visual concepts like the Higgs Boson Particle and other phrases I'd only use to sound smarter than other dummies, I turned to the idea of discovery or uncovering the hidden. "Seeing" is an easier visual concept than quantum chromodynamics

Each section header got a half page banner to introduce the categories of discovery. 



For this project, I built a shallow relief diorama and tried to shoot it with a camera, but couldn't get enough sharpness and the color correction was tough. I ended up scanning these and adjusting... though I do like the deeper shadows on the one I photographed, below. Will keep fooling around with this and call Red Nose Studio for advice. 

The first attempt with a camera... 

1 comment:

blueblood said...

What a great project! You are a master.